Tuesday, July 19, 2011

White Dread

In case you ever wondered what happens to a husky-ish dog who is never brushed, it looks a little like White Dog:





Remind me never,ever to have a long-haired dog around the house. Cleaning up all that hair, bit by bit as summer wears on, must be a Sisyphean task. White dog looks like he's lost about 10 pounds, all of it fluffy, floaty white hair.
This picture doesn't show the dreads as well, but I like it better because White Dog totally posed and smiled for the camera.

In the background, one of the neighbors was shouting, "Don't be scared! Don't be scared! They're okay dogs." LE kept his distance from the dogs because to him, they're massive and he doesn't like being licked in the face. Nor would I, I suppose, if I had a similar face-dog tongue ratio. I said, "I know they're nice. I'm just taking a picture," to which he replied, "*blink blink*" and walked away, because some things, no matter how normal they seem to me, just don't register with a lot of people.

Black dog, by the way, was there too. She (formally he, because I'm a little slow) now approaches cautiously and sniffs a proffered hand almost in shame. She's that kind of scared that makes me nervous, no matter how nice a dog is. Her wounds appear to have healed, even the one on her eye, but gone are the happy wiggles and exuberant head cuddles.

So it's either a happy or unhappy ending, depending on how you look at it and what mood you happen to be in at the time.

*EDIT* 21 July: Someone gave White Dog a haircut! He's svelte and dread-free!

No comments: